Welcome to the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy (ELP) at the College of Education at The University of Texas at Austin (formerly the Department of Educational Administration). The decision to change the department's name was made after a year-long strategic planning process, and this new name more accurately reflects the vision, mission, and values of a department that has evolved to meet the needs of a changing and increasingly complex educational arena.
Our department has a long track-record of producing talented and award-winning educational leaders, administrators, researchers, and scholars across education sectors, and under our new banner we reaffirm our commitment to this important legacy. We have built a consistent national reputation as a top graduate program for training educational leaders and researchers (#6 in 2017 U.S. News & World Report rankings), and we must continue to leverage this status to further enhance our department priorities:
- Deliver high-quality academic programs that emphasize training in educational equity and social justice leadership
- Nurture a positive overall graduate student experience
- Enhance our faculty and student research productivity
- Cultivate strategic partnerships with key stakeholders
- Transform lives by improving educational leadership, policy, and practice
While our department name has changed, our program areas remain intact. I invite you to explore our department web pages and learn more about our distinguished graduate programs that train education professionals for both P-12 and higher education contexts:
- Program in Higher Education Leadership (Ed.D. and Ph.D.)
- College and University Student Personnel Administration Master's Program (M.Ed.)
- Cooperative Superintendency Program (Ed.D.)
- Education Policy and Planning (M.Ed. and Ph.D.)
- Principalship Program (M.Ed.)
I am deeply honored to serve as chair of the Department of Educational Leadership and Policy (ELP) at the University of Texas at Austin. I embrace this leadership opportunity with enthusiasm, humility, and determination to advance our departmental priorities and our institutional mission. Exciting times are ahead for our faculty, students, and ELP community. This name change provides us with an opportunity to reaffirm our mission and values as a department and build upon a great legacy of training educational leaders, policy researchers, administrators, practitioners, and scholars for our state and for our nation. I look forward to working with our many stakeholders to advance this important mission and positively change the world.
Hook ‘Em Horns!
Victor B. Sáenz, Ph.D.
Chair, Educational Leadership and Policy
The University of Texas at Austin