Thursday, February 22
|4 - 5 p.m.||Campus Tour with Master's student Dorie Kaye.||Meet at the bus stop outside the SSB main entrance.|
|5 - 5:30 p.m.||Welcome||SAC 1.402|
|5:30 - 6:30 p.m.||
PHEL Distinguished Lecture by Dr. Aurora Chang
Sponsored by HELPSA, PHEL, and the Graduate School
|6:45 p.m.||Dinner||Kerbey Lane Café
Friday, February 23
8 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
|Placement Exchange - All Fall 2018 admitted PHEL masters (CUSPA) students who are seeking a paid Graduate Assistantship are welcome to attend.||SAC 3.116 (green room)
SAC 2.412 (interviews)
9 - 9:45 a.m.
|Meet with current students||Café Medici
2222B Guadalupe St.
10 - 11 a.m.
|ED Talk by Liliana Garces||SZB 435|
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
|Free guided tour||Blanton Museum|
12:30 - 1 p.m.
PHEL Preview Plenary begins, featuring opportunities to meet with your advisor (if available), panels and discussions on student life in Austin, funding opportunities in the program, and a faculty presentation on how to maximize your graduate experience.
|1 - 2 p.m.||Lunch with faculty||SAC 2.302|
|2 - 2:30 p.m.||Overview of Programs||SAC 2.302|
|2:30 - 3:30 p.m.||Breakout Sessions||
Masters: SAC 2.302
Doctorates: SAC 1.118
|3:30 - 5 p.m.||Student Panels in Breakout Sessions||Masters: SAC 2.302
Doctorates: SAC 1.118
|5 p.m.||HELPSA Social Hour||Scholz Garten|
Saturday, February 24
|10 a.m.||HELPSA Brunch: Open to all PHEL current and admitted students as well as faculty and staff.||Trudy's Texas Star|
We will provide lunch on Feb. 23; all other expenses are the responsibility of participants.
Other Important Information
This event for admitted master’s students who plan to attend full time and are seeking a position as Graduate Assistant.
Our Vision: The UT Placement Exchange, where university professionals connect with the next generation of student affairs and administrative talent.
Our Values: Our guiding principles include creating an environment of professionalism, authentic and ethical behavior, mutual respect, open exchange of ideas, accessible and inclusive practice, and innovation.
To participate in the Placement Exchange, please follow the directions in the admissions email you received. If you cannot find that info, need assistance, or have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
There are Graduate Assistantships available in the following areas (more to be added soon):
- Visitor Services (1 position)
College of Education
Division of Diversity and Community Engagement
University Housing and Dining (formerly Division of Housing and Food Service)
- GA for Community Development
- GA for Student Leadership Development
- GAs for Jester (2 positions)
- Assistant Complex Coordinators (2 positions)
Electrical and Computer Engineering – Undergraduate Advising Office (1 position)
New Student Services (1 position)
Office of the Dean of Students
- Leadership and Ethics Institute
- SFL - Awards & Recognition (1 position)
- SFL - Safety Education (1 position)
- SFL - Leadership & Community Expectations (1 position)
- Student Activities – Org Development & Recognition (1 position)
- Student Activities - Student Organization Center (1 position)
- Student Emergency Services (1 position)
On Ramps (1 position)
School of Undergraduate Studies
- First-year & Transfer Experience (1 position)
We cannot pay for parking or public transportation fees.
- Austin has a great bus and light rail system that is very cost effective: https://www.capmetro.org/
- You can ride any UT bus on our honor system while you are in town: http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/index.php
- Brazos Garage (BRG): the closest campus garage to SZB College of Education building. 210 E. MLK Blvd.
- Bob Bullock Museum underground garage (scroll down).
- Off-campus, parking meter street parking (many have a 3-hour time limit)
- Colorado, Lavaca, and 18th streets around Bob Bullock Museum
- University Lane or any of the side streets around the AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center
- AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center garage
SAC – Student Activities Building: 2201 Speedway, Austin TX, 78712
- It’s right next door to GRE (Gregory Gym).
- Here’s a map to the floor plans to help you find the green room (1.118)
SZB – George I. Sanchez Building: 1912 Speedway, Austin TX, 78705
- It’s right next door to PCL (library). (Note: If you enter SZB from the southeast side of the building, you will enter on the first floor/lower level. If you enter from the west or north ends of the building (where the escalators are located), you will enter on the second floor. Only the south end of the building has a first floor/lower level.
- When you enter SZB, there are floor maps on each floor near the escalator.
Scholz Garten: 1607 San Jacinto Blvd. Austin, Texas 78701
From either the SZB or the SAC, walk south on Speedway, past where the street ends (there’s a sidewalk) until you get to MLK. Turn left on MLK, and then right on San Jacinto at the bottom of the hill. Scholz is two blocks down.
HELPSA will be coordinating with out-of-town visitors so that you do not have to pay for a hotel room. Housing needs will be met on a first-come, first-served basis, and we cannot guarantee housing for everyone, so please contact HELPSA as soon as you know you have need of a place to stay.
Please email HELPSA will your housing needs: email@example.com