Minor in Kinesiology and Health Education

Department of Kinesiology and Health Education

two students offering health services at a pop up clinic

The Department of Kinesiology and Health Education (KHE) offers a minor that gives undergraduate students from outside the Kinesiology and Health Education major the opportunity to take courses in health behavior, human movement, physical culture, sport and much more.

A transcript-recognized minor in KHE requires 15 hours of coursework in KIN and HED with a minimum of 6 upper-division hours. Prerequisites for classes must be met and some classes have limited space available.

A minor in Kinesiology and Health Education can complement studies in nutrition, business, communication, natural sciences, pre-med, social work and education.

Recommended Tracks

While you have the option to design a broad-based minor by taking almost any combination of KIN or HED classes, you also can focus on one of the areas of interest listed below.


Disability Studies

Exercise Physiology

Health Behavior and Health Education

Health Care Professions

Human Movement Science

Personal Training and Fitness

Sport Management and Physical Culture in Sport

Strength and Conditioning Coaching

Applying to the Minor

You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 at UT to declare a minor in Kinesiology and Health Education. To declare the minor, 

  • Visit your IDA (Interactive Degree Audit) page
  • Click on Minors
  • Select “Education” from the school dropdown
  • Choose the KHE Minor
  • Click “Apply”

Registration Information

COE students will have priority until the add/drop period before the start of the semester to register. Any seats left will be opened up to the rest of the university one to two days before classes begin. 

Courses might be listed as “open, restricted” but you should try to add them anyway during your first access time. If you are unsuccessful, try again during the add/drop period. 

If you have additional questions about the minor, you should contact your undergraduate advisor.

University-wide requirements and the available options can be found in the university’s Undergraduate Catalog.