University of Texas Urban Teachers
The Urban Teachers Program provides several paths for you to become an equity-minded teacher:
- Obtain a minor that leads to teacher certification in either English Language Arts or Social Studies
- Pursue a postbaccalaureate program
- Obtain a Master’s degree while participating in our teacher preparation program
The Urban Teachers teacher preparation program equips you to become the kind of secondary (middle or high school) teacher who contributes, along with your students, to achieving greater educational and social justice in urban schools, communities, and beyond.
What Sets Us Apart
- Gain research-based and practical knowledge of teaching through extensive coursework and hands-on experience in urban secondary schools.
- Work alongside a group of highly qualified and equally passionate peers in a supportive environment.
- Learn from renowned faculty members engaged in scholarly research and master teachers in local classrooms.
- Start building your professional network.
- Stand out in the job market by entering the field as fully-fledged professionals with the skills and experience that employers value.
An academic advisor will be available to guide you throughout the program and prepare you for the certification process.
Obtain a minor that leads to teacher certification in either English Language Arts or Social Studies. This 18-hour, three-semester sequence is designed for students who are working on a bachelor’s degree and want to pursue teacher certification by minoring in Education.
Pursue a post-baccalaureate program. This flexible 18-hour, three-semester sequence is designed for students who have earned a bachelor’s degree and are interested in obtaining teacher certification to teach social studies.
Obtain a Master’s degree while participating in our teacher preparation program. The program is designed to develop knowledge, skills, and dispositions to support teaching and learning in linguistically and culturally diverse urban settings.
Ready to Apply?
Visit Apply Texas
to get started.