- My application may not be complete by the deadline date. Will it automatically be denied?
No. Those applications completed shortly after the deadline will still be considered. If there is space remaining in the program or area of interest, the application will be reviewed. If not, the application may be marked “No Action”.
- I am taking the GRE very close to the application deadline date. Will my scores make it to the department by the deadline?
It takes approximately 10-15 days for official GRE test results to be received by UT. UT Graduate Admissions will not be able to complete their review of your application materials without the GRE scores. After Graduate Admissions receives the scores, they will refer your application to the department for consideration. This can take an additional few days. These delays will cause your application to be delayed in being reviewed by your program or area of interest.
- Are the application deadlines different for international students?
No. The application deadlines are the same for everyone.
- Is a Department application required in addition to the online ApplyTexas application?
No, only the ApplyTexas application is required.
- How do I submit my Resume/Vita to the Department?
After you have submitted the ApplyTexas online application, you will receive an e-mail from UT Graduate Admissions that will provide you with a link to check the status of your application online. This status check page will also allow you to upload your Resume/Vita as a PDF for the Department to review. NOTE: Your application fee must be paid before you can upload materials using this link.
- How do I submit my Letters of Recommendation?
All Letters of Recommendation must be submitted online. When completing the “References” section of the online application (ApplyTexas), you will be asked to list the names of your recommenders and their e-mail addresses. Be sure the e-mail address is current and accurate. You will also be asked whether you will be waiving your right to view your letters after they are submitted. Once your application has been received by the Graduate School, an e-mail will be sent directly to your recommenders with a link that will allow them to complete their recommendation letter online. You may need to follow up with any referee who overlooks submitting a letter for you, as each recommender will receive only one request from the Graduate School. You will be able to view whether letters have been received, or change/add a recommender, via MyStatus.
- How and when will I know if I have received financial assistance from the Department or from The University?
Fellowship nomination deadlines vary and it is difficult to specify a notification date. The Fellowship Committee begins deliberations early in January and will continue until all available fellowships have been awarded. Most of the deadlines occur in March or April but others extend into the summer months. Recipients will be notified by official e-mail from either the Office of Graduate Studies or from the Department of Special Education.
- I have sent in all of the required documents to the department. The Graduate School status check says that they have received all required materials but my application status is still showing “Incomplete”. What is wrong?
Although the Graduate School has received all of the required documents, they have not finished reviewing and certifying them. At peak admissions periods it can take up to two weeks before this review is completed. Once the Graduate School has completed the evaluation of these documents, they will refer the application to the department for a decision. At that time, and if all other required materials are in, the Department will be able to mark your application as “Complete”.
Frequently Asked Questions
George I. Sánchez Building
3rd Floor, Room 3.708
Phone: (512) 471-4161
Department of Special Education University of Texas at Austin
1912 Speedway STOP D5300
Austin, TX 78712