Frequently Asked Questions

What degrees and concentrations do you offer?

Students who graduate from our programs will receive a Ph.D., Ed.D., or M.Ed. in Educational Leadership and Policy. The following are our areas of concentration:

  • Program in Higher Education Leadership (PHEL): Ed.D., Ph.D.
  • PHEL College and University Student Personnel Administration: M.Ed.
  • Cooperative Superintendency Program (CSP): Ed.D. only
  • Educational Policy and Planning Program (EPP): M. Ed., Ph.D.
  • Texas Principal Leadership Academy (TPLA): M.Ed. only 
What is the minimum GPA requirement?

A GPA of 3.0 is required. 

What is the minimum required GRE score?

There is no minimum score required. 

Can the GRE be waived?


I took the GMAT. Will you accept this in lieu of the GRE?


Does UT accept old GRE scores?

Your scores must be less than 5 years old. 

My scores aren’t so good. May I still apply?


What's most important to the Admissions Committee, GRE scores, GPA, etc.?

The committee considers each applicant as a whole student. No decisions are based solely on GRE scores, GPA, or any other individual factor. There is no one part of the application considered more important than any other part.

I'm taking the GRE a few weeks before/after the application deadline. Will my application still be considered?

The application deadline is January 20 (or earlier depending on the program). Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. 

I sent most of my application in before the deadline, but I know a few items such as letters of reference are still missing. Will it be considered?

It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required materials be received by our department by the deadline. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. 

When should I expect to hear back from you?

Applicants may expect to receive admission offers (or denials) by early March. 

Can I call to get my application decision?

No. We can only give admissions information to the applicant, and there is no way to verify your identity via phone. 

I missed the application deadline for the Principalship Program. May I apply and begin in the Fall or Spring?

No, admission begins in the summer only. 

I missed the application deadline for the Cooperative Superintendency Program. May I apply and begin in the Fall or Spring?

No, admission begins in the summer only. 

I missed the application deadline for the Program in Higher Education Leadership. May I apply to begin in the Spring or Summer?

Occasionally some applicants may be allowed to begin in the Spring or Summer. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis by writing to the director of this program explaining the circumstances of this applicant. If admitted, it will be under a non-degree seeking status. 

May I apply as a non-degree seeker?

If you wish to take graduate-level coursework without becoming a candidate for a graduate degree you may apply for admission to an Educational Leadership and Policy program as a non-degree graduate student. You must hold a bachelor's degree in order to be eligible for the non-degree (graduate) program. Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) scores are not required. 

I have a bachelor's degree. Can I apply directly to a doctoral program?

No. You must earn a master’s degree before you begin a doctoral program. 

My bachelor’s degree is not in education. May I still apply to your master’s program in the Higher Education Program’s College Student Personnel Administration/ Student Affairs Program?


I do not have teacher certification. May I still apply to the Principalship Program?

No. This program requires teacher certification and 2 years of classroom teaching experience. 

I already have a master’s degree. May I just take a few courses in the Principalship Program for certification purposes only?

No, this option is not available. 

I already have a master’s degree. If I am accepted to the Principalship Program, will I receive another master’s degree?


What do I need to submit to apply?

A complete list of required submission materials can be found on the How to Apply page. All materials must be submitted by Jan. 20, 2019. 

I don't live in the Austin area or my work schedule prevents me from making it to campus. Can I complete the Master's or Ph.D. in Education Policy and Planning remotely or online?

No. All of our classes meet in person on the University of Texas at Austin campus. While we may occasionally hold a particular class session virtually (when faculty are away for a conference, for example), students are expected to attend face-to-face classes every week during the fall and spring semesters. Face-to-face meetings are required to ensure rich discussion and negotiation of new ideas with professors and colleagues.

To accommodate students' schedules, we try to offer Master's level courses in the late afternoon/evenings. However, our Ph.D. program is for full-time students, who may work at most part-time on or off campus. Therefore, the required courses are held throughout the day.