Only degree-seeking students enrolled at UT Austin are eligible to apply for the Urban Teachers undergraduate certification program. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 3.0 in an accepted major. If you have questions about the application process or how your major qualifies for the program, contact us at email@example.com.
NOTE: you should be applying for the program in the spring of your junior year at UT.
Please read this whole page before starting your application
There are three steps to the application procedure:
- Make contact with an Urban Teacher program advisor to introduce yourself, address coursework recommendations, and learn about the program.
- Apply and submit the application essay online through the Professional Development Sequence (PDS).
- While your PDS application is under review, you will receive an email from us with instructions for applying to Breakthrough Austin, the site for the Urban Teacher summer internship component.
Contact the College of Education advisor, Antoinette Stanley Hart, to review your timeline, AND then speak with the advisor for your program area of University of Texas Urban Teachers.
- For general questions about the application process, your eligibility, and to choose a subject area: Urban Teacher Outreach: firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Education Advising: Antoinette Stanley Hart: email@example.com
- ELA advisor: Allison Skerrett: ASkerrett@utexas.edu
- SS advisor: Anthony Brown: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit your application and essay online through the Professional Development Sequence (PDS) between January 19 and February 18.
This application is part of the UTDirect system and requires an EID. Follow the directions through the online system to create a TEAL account and receive an assigned TEA ID number. You will also upload your application essay online. Please prepare your essay ahead of time in response to this prompt:
Urban Teacher Program Application Essay: Please double-space; approximately 500 words
In your essay, describe your understanding of the dynamics and importance of linguistically and culturally diverse learning contexts and your future role as a classroom teacher. You are encouraged to reference personal and professional experiences as well as any scholarly work that has influenced your decision to become a classroom teacher through the Urban Teachers program. Please mention what content area you would like to teach: English Language Arts or Social Studies/History.
Once your PDS application is received and under review, you will receive an email from us. At this time, you will apply separately to Breakthrough Austin.
Students begin the program in an intensive summer experience: two courses (6 credits) during summer sessions I-II, carefully planned in concert with a full-time, paid position at Breakthrough Austin. This mandatory program component requires a separate application for employment with Breakthrough Austin.
Please do not apply to Breakthrough Austin before receiving an email from us with specific details related to our program!
Students interested in the postbaccalaureate option should contact Antoinette Stanley Hart for advising and information on the application process.
Master of Education Programs
All applicants will apply through the University of Texas Graduate School. Go to the Department's Admissions Page for information about applying to graduate school.