Frequently Asked Questions

Counselor Education Master’s Program

Department of Educational Psychology

This page provides answers to common questions about your admission application specific to Counselor Education. See also General FAQs.

What is the application deadline for admittance for the fall semester?

What is the difference between the Higher Education Counseling & Student Affairs concentration and the School Counseling concentration?

I’m currently teaching full-time as a teacher. Will I be able to continue to teach while in the program?

Are students able to work full-time and still manage the course load?

Is the program accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs?

What are the most important things to consider for admissions?

How competitive is the application process?

Is there an interview day? What is involved?

Can I visit the program prior to applying?

What are common practicum sites?

Is funding available for students in this program?

Can I transfer credits for relevant graduate coursework?

How long will it take me to complete the Counselor Education program?

Can I decide to switch to the doctoral Counseling Psychology Program after a period of time?

How do I get involved in faculty research?

With what sort of populations and in what settings do most of the students go on to work?

Will the Counselor Education program prepare me for the LPC exam?

Do many students in the Counselor Education program obtain their LPC?

Does this program prepare students to counsel in community settings or private practice?

What happens if a student wants to practice counseling in another state?