After you submit the ApplyTexas application, the Graduate School will review your application. You will be sent an email confirming your application submission within 1-2 days. This email will also contain your login information (UT EID) for the MyStatus page. MyStatus answers questions like:
- Is my application complete?
- What's missing?
- Do I need to submit a CV? Another essay? A transcript?
- Did you receive my test scores?
- Did I upload this document successfully? Can I delete and re-upload this document?
- Have you received my letters of recommendation? How can I change my recommenders?
- Why was my transcript declined?
You will need to do the following in order complete their Application Form on ApplyTexas:
Pay the Application Fee
The nonrefundable application fee is $65.00 for US applicants; $90.00 for International applicants. Fee waivers are available for those who are eligible.
Have Your Transcripts Ready
Transcripts are required for each senior college attended. A PDF of the official transcript can be uploaded, but you must provide an official transcript from that college after acceptance to our program. Each transcript can be uploaded only once, so please make sure you have the correct and full version of each transcript before uploading. Learn more about how to submit your transcripts from the Graduate School's site.
Submit Your Official GRE Scores
The GRE requirement has been waived for Fall 2023 applicants.
Prepare Your Statement of Purpose
Approximately 1-3 pages in length, this essay should address your current situation, your intended area(s) of research/specialization, and your goals for achievement in graduate study and beyond.
Tips for Ph.D. Students
- In your personal statement, clearly state your areas of research interest. These can be general or specific, but it is a good idea to provide some sense of the types of things you would like to research and why they are important or interesting to you.
- Visit the STEM ED faculty members' bios to learn more about their areas of research expertise, and then identify one or more faculty members whose areas of research are most closely related to those you would like to pursue. Contact the faculty member(s) via email to let them know of your interest, and to ask to set up a time to communicate virtually or on the phone.
- Be sure to mention in your personal statement that you have reached out to the faculty member(s) already, and briefly discuss how you see your research interests connecting with theirs.
Update Your Resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV)
This document should summarize and chronicle your academic and professional positions and achievements, including any awards and/or publications for which you are credited.
Submit Three (3) Letters of Reference
Our department requires three letters of recommendation. Recommenders will be notified by email with instructions on how to upload their letters once you have submitted and paid for your application. Letters should come from professors who are familiar with your academic performance and potential.