Thursday, February 21
|2 to 3 p.m.||Campus Tour||Start location: SSB Main Entrance, 100 W Dean Keeton St, Austin, TX 78712. Look for two guys, Kadeem and Wes, in orange polo shirts. Be sure to bring an umbrella!|
|3 to 4 p.m.||Welcome||SZB 352|
|4 to 5:30 p.m.||Preview Class (by program)||
Doctoral Students: Social/Cultural Contexts of Education with Dr. Holme and Dr. Reddick in PCL Learning Commons
EPP Master’s: Policy Implementation Seminar with Dr. Childs in SZB 380
PHEL Master’s: Legislative Issues with Drs. Saenz & Sharpe in SZB 324
|5:30 to 7:30 p.m.||Dinner||Kerby Lane, 2606 Guadalupe St, Austin, TX 78705|
Friday, February 22
8 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
|Placement Exchange - All Fall 2019 admitted master's students (PHEL and EPP) who are seeking a paid Graduate Assistantship are welcome to attend.||SAC 2.120 (green room)
SAC 2.412 (interviews)
8:30 - 9:45 a.m.
|Meet with current students||Café Medici, 2222 Guadalupe St B, Austin, TX 78705|
10 - 11 a.m.
|ED Talk||SZB 435|
11:15 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
|Meet with your advisor.|
12:30 - 1 p.m.
|Plenary Welcome. The plenary will feature an opportunity to meet with your advisor (if available), panels and discussions on student life in Austin, funding opportunities in the program, and a faculty presentation on how to maximize your graduate experience.||SAC 2.302|
|1:30 p.m.||Faculty Panel||SAC 2.302|
|2:15 p.m.||Overview of Programs||SAC 2.302|
|2:30 p.m.||Financial Aid Presentation|
|3:30 p.m.||Breakout Sessions||
EPP Doctoral: SAC 3.116
PHEL Doctoral: SAC 2.120
PHEL Master's: SAC 2.302
EPP Master's: SAC 1.106
|3:30 - 4:30 p.m.||Student Panels in Breakout Sessions|
|5 p.m.||Social Hour||Scholz Garten|
Saturday, February 23
|9:30 a.m.||HELPSA Brunch: Open to all current and admitted students.||Trudy's Texas Star, 409 W. 30th Street, Austin|
We will provide lunch on Feb. 22; all other expenses are the responsibility of participants.
This event for admitted master’s students who plan to attend full time and are seeking a position as Graduate Assistant. Learn more and download position descriptions on our student wiki.
We cannot pay for parking or public transportation fees.
- Austin has a great bus and light rail system that is very cost effective: https://www.capmetro.org/
- You can ride any UT bus on our honor system while you are in town: http://www.utexas.edu/parking/transportation/shuttle/index.php
- Brazos Garage (BRG): the closest campus garage to SZB College of Education building. 210 E. MLK Blvd.
- Bob Bullock Museum underground garage (scroll down).
- Off-campus, parking meter street parking (many have a 3-hour time limit)
- Colorado, Lavaca, and 18th streets around Bob Bullock Museum
- University Lane or any of the side streets around the AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center
- AT&T Executive Education & Conference Center garage
SAC – Student Activities Building: 2201 Speedway, Austin TX, 78712
- It’s right next door to GRE (Gregory Gym).
- Here’s a map to the floor plans to help you find the green room
SZB – George I. Sanchez Building: 1912 Speedway, Austin TX, 78705
- It’s right next door to PCL (library). (Note: If you enter SZB from the southeast side of the building, you will enter on the first floor/lower level. If you enter from the west or north ends of the building (where the escalators are located), you will enter on the second floor. Only the south end of the building has a first floor/lower level.
- When you enter SZB, there are floor maps on each floor near the escalator.
Scholz Garten: 1607 San Jacinto Blvd. Austin, Texas 78701
From either the SZB or the SAC, walk south on Speedway, past where the street ends (there’s a sidewalk) until you get to MLK. Turn left on MLK, and then right on San Jacinto at the bottom of the hill. Scholz is two blocks down.
HELPSA will be coordinating with out-of-town visitors so that you do not have to pay for a hotel room. Housing needs will be met on a first-come, first served basis, and we cannot guarantee housing for everyone. Please indicate you need housing when you register by the link above. If you do not hear from someone by the week before your arrival, please email HELPSA will your housing needs: email@example.com