Youth and Community Studies (YCS) prepares you to work with people of all ages in a variety of settings that do not require teacher certification. If you are interested in teaching, there are options to prepare for Texas certification in middle school and high school English language arts or social studies, as well as all-level physical education teacher certification.
When you major in YCS, you will prepare for a variety of careers:
- 7th – 12th-grade teacher certification in English language arts
- 7th – 12th-grade teacher certification in social studies
- All-level teacher certification in physical education
- youth sports programs
- parks and recreation departments
- child development centers or after-school programs
- assisted living communities
- government agencies
- non-profit organizations related to criminal justice and advocacy programs
As a YCS major, you will choose from one of the following concentrations:
- Early Childhood–Coursework deals primarily with child and adolescent development and family relationships.
- Special Populations–Coursework comes from such areas as communication science disorders, kinesiology, and social work, and provides an overview of communication disorders, increasing cultural awareness, and developing systems for individuals with disabilities.
- Coaching–Coursework covers fundamentals of coaching, theory, and practice as well as physiological and psychological aspects of sport.
- Youth and Social Services–Required courses cover topics in substance abuse prevention, intervention, and treatment. Elective topics range from the psychosocial aspects of aging to juvenile delinquency and criminal justice.
- Physical Education–Coursework covers topics related to movement, sport, motor function, and activity for children with disabilities.
Check the degree plan for a list of courses eligible for each concentration.
Physical Education Teacher Certification
As a YCS major, you have the option to work toward a physical education teacher certification by choosing the physical activity education concentration. You will also need to complete the physical education activity track to complete teaching requirements.
In addition, you will have to apply for and complete the Professional Development Sequence (PDS) for physical education. This is a teacher preparation program that includes coursework, fieldwork and observations, and student teaching.
7th – 12th Grade English Language Arts and Social Studies Teacher Certification
In addition to the YCS coursework, you will need to complete the UT Urban Teachers Program Professional Development Sequence. This is a teacher preparation program that includes coursework, fieldwork and observations, and student teaching.
Certificates, Minors, and Specializations
Certificates and Minors
In addition to the YCS major, you can complete a minor or certificate program that complements your studies.
These are the most common certificates and minors:
Beginning with the 2016-2018 catalog, certificates and minors are recognized on transcripts.
If you are interested in furthering your education in kinesiology and health, you are encouraged to choose a specialization. The Department of Kinesiology and Health Education offers seven specializations. For details, please visit our KHE Specializations page.