All graduate students are required to apply to the state application system ApplyTexas. We strongly encourage you to start this process well in advance of the deadline to allow us time to process your information. For department requirements, visit our “How to Apply” page.
- A master’s degree from an accredited U.S. institution, or proof of equivalent training at a foreign institution in education, the social sciences, or related field.
- A statement of purpose that describes:
- why you are interested in a doctoral degree in the Program in Higher Education Leadership (PHEL) at UT Austin;
- what life experiences have contributed to your decision to apply to our program;
- what personal experiences, achievements, and accomplishments would compel the department to evaluate your contributions to the University’s diversity mission;
- what type of research you would be interested in conducting and which faculty member(s) you would like to work with; and
- what your career aspirations are once you complete your degree.
- Submission of a 4-6 page writing sample (e.g., master’s thesis, published article, paper prepared for a professional conference, etc.) after you receive an acknowledgment email from the Graduate School). This email will also contain your UT EID. Please upload your writing sample to the “Miscellaneous Admissions Document” section using the following URL: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/ogs/forms/supp_docs.WBX