Certification FAQs

What is the GPA Requirement?

Most of the teacher certification programs listed under the College of Education require a minimum 2.5 GPA. The requirements outside of the College of Education vary by degree and certification program. Please check the requirements for those colleges:

Do I need to redo my fingerprints if I was fingerprinted as a substitute teacher?

No. If you completed Substitute Teacher Fingerprints during your Professional Development Sequence, then you have fulfilled the Fingerprinting Requirement. However, you may need to contact TEA to link your fingerprints to your TEA Certification Application. 

Do you offer any teacher certification courses or programs online?

No, the University of Texas at Austin only offers traditional, daytime courses for Initial and Postbaccalaureate Certification programs. Professional certificates are not online, but classes may be available in late afternoon and evening to accommodate working professionals. 

Can I take the Certification Exams online?

No, students must take the exam at a Testing Center. Dates of availability are at www.tx.nesinc.com.

How do I renew my certificate?

Please follow the instructions outlined on the TEA website

I am moving to Texas and I am currently certified to teach in another state, how do I become certified to teach in Texas?

Please follow the instructions outlined on the TEA website. A complete review of credentials is necessary for out-of-state teachers. Teachers with certificates from other countries will be required to complete an accredited certification program in the U.S.

Can I become certified in a Postbaccalaureate program if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, the Postbaccalaureate allows students to certify in a field outside of their undergraduate degree. However, students may need to take additional foundation courses before they enter the Professional Development Sequence. This is looked at on a case-by-case basis.

Learn more: 

How long does the Postbaccalaureate program take?

Postbaccalaureate certification programs last approximately 2 years, because every student will need to complete a Professional Development Sequence (PDS) that lasts 3-4 semesters, depending on the program. Students may also be required to take a semester of foundational courses. Exemption from these courses is on a case-by-case basis. Please contact an advisor regarding course questions. 

Is the Postbaccalaureate program also a Master degree program?

No, the Postbaccalaureate is not a degree program. Students are classified as degree-holders, certification seekers. The program allows students who have already completed a bachelor’s degree to complete the required courses and student teaching necessary to hold a teacher’s certificate.

The following Master's plus Teacher Certification programs are available: 

Urban Teachers Masters Plus Certification

Master of Education Plus English Certification Secondary: 7th - 12th
Master of Education Plus Social Studies Certification Secondary: 7th - 12th

Special Education

Master of Education in High Incidence Disabilities Plus Special Education Certification All Level: EC - 12th

Curriculum & Instruction

PETE Master of Education Plus Physical Education Teacher Certification All Level: EC - 12th
I have a job offer and I’ve taken my tests, but my certification hasn’t come through.

Students who are graduating in the current semester and have completed all requirements and need an Anticipation Letter for a job offer should contact the COE Certification Officer

Will my military service, training, or education apply towards my certification?

In accordance with 19 TAC 228.35 (a)(5), the College of Education evaluates and may accept military service, training, or education toward fulfillment of program prerequisite admission requirements. Military service, training, or education must be directly related to the certificate being sought and may not take the place of certification examinations. Service, training, or education may not count as part of an internship, clinical teaching, or practicum requirements and must be provided by an approved Educator Preparation Program or accredited institution of higher education within the past five years. The Program Director will determine whether or not military service, training, or education is relevant and could be used as a substitution.