Office of Instructional Innovation
The Office of Instructional Innovation partners with instructors in the College of Education to create high-quality learning experiences that benefit all students. To accomplish this goal, we provide instructional design consulting, advise on teaching techniques, help select appropriate educational technologies, and develop clear and engaging learning resources.
Whether you’re new to college teaching or an experienced faculty member, we want you to be successful. We invite you to work with us for all your teaching and educational technology needs by emailing email@example.com.
- Consulting on course design, course redesign, and academic program development, including face-to-face, online, and hybrid learning scenarios
- Design, implementation, and support for social and experiential learning
- Development of meaningful student learning assessments and assignments
- Production of digital course resources, including multimedia and interactive content presentation
- Design and development of custom learning tools
- Facilitation of professional learning for faculty, including online resources, communities of practice, and technology workshops
- Support for digital literacy assessment and instruction across the college
- Responsive support on the use of Canvas, Zoom, Panopto, Qualtrics, Poll Everywhere, and other educational technology resources
Quick Tips for Teaching
Professional Development Opportunities
Teaching with Technology
We have curated the following collection of tutorials to help you become productive with tools such as Canvas, Zoom, and Panopto.
- Canvas: a learning management system used by faculty and students to access and manage online learning materials and communications.
- Zoom: an easy, reliable cloud platform for video conferencing, webinars, and classes.
- Panopto: a video platform that allows faculty to record and share videos within and outside of Canvas.
- Upload media to Panopto
- Record a video using Panopto for Windows
- Record a video using Panopto for Mac
- Trim a Panopto video
- Make an interactive Panopto video
- Add auto-captioning in Panopto
- Embed a Panopto video in a Canvas course
- Create a Panopto video assignment in Canvas
- Use a Panopto quiz as a Canvas assignment
We also have developed two tools that extend the capabilities of Canvas to create new opportunities for learning.
OI2 Canvas Tool: Journal
The journal app provides a blog-like experience where each student has a personal space for reflections, reading responses, and other writing assignments. Journals can be private (shared only between the student and instructor) or public (shared with other members of the class). Learn more about the journal tool
OI2 Canvas Tool: Chat
Our chat app enables real-time, small-group discussions using text. Transcripts of each chat session are recorded and made available to the instructor. The app supports variation in how discourse occurs in a classroom. Learn more about our chat tool
Lucas Horton, Director
Lucas holds a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Learning Technologies. His interests include the application of web and interactive multimedia technologies to support face-to-face, blended, and online instruction.
Karen French, Associate Director
Karen holds a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction with a specialization in Instructional Technology and a master’s degree in Anthropology. She is also a certified teacher and taught high school Latin for seven years.
Rui Zeng, Instructional Designer
Rui holds a Ph.D. in Instructional Technology and an M.S. in Educational Technology.
Email or call us for any questions you may have or to make an appointment with an OI2 member.
Director: Lucas Horton
@oi2ut on Twitter