STEM Students FAQ



  • I’m graduating! What do I need to do?

    To graduate you will need to contact Jeffrey Grimes, Graduate Coordinator, to open your application through UT Direct. After the application is open, you will complete your Program of Work and submit it to the faculty for approval. For more information about graduation including deadlines, visit the Graduate School website.

Registration & Enrollment

  • Where do I go for advising?

    Catherine Riegle-Crumb is currently the STEM Education graduate advisor. She will advise incoming graduate students or refer them to a faculty member with related research interests. Once students have begun to work with a prospective supervisor, that faculty member will advise them. 

  • What if I do not plan to enroll in classes in a particular semester?

    Students in a degree program must be continuously enrolled, with the exception of the summer semester. Students must formally request a leave of absence if they will not enroll in a given semester. Leaves will typically be granted in response to the first application but subsequent requests will be more strictly reviewed. 

  • How do I take a class Credit/No Credit?

    Students can change the grade status of a class to or from Credit/No Credit during regular online registration and the add-drop period up to the 4th official class day of a long semester. Beyond that, it must be done via the departmental office using the appropriate Add/Drop Form (paper forms are also available in SZB 436). The final deadline for CR/NCR changes can be found in the UT academic calendars.

    Note: Only 20% of your coursework may be CR/NCR. 

  • How do I enroll in a restricted class?

    If a course is restricted by the department or is full, you will need Instructor approval before you can register. This must be conveyed via email or paper form to Ann Ford in the Graduate Student Services office, SZB 436J, along with your EID and the unique number of the course. All Individual Instruction courses are restricted. To enroll in one of these, you must turn in the appropriate Individual Instruction Consent Form, signed by your supervisor, and register yourself for the course once the restriction is lifted.

    Note: Restricted courses must be added by the department offering the course. 

  • I missed a registration deadline—what do I do?

    Check your Registration Information Sheet for your next online registration access period. If you have missed the last access period, you must file a Late Registration Form to register. Paper forms are also available in SZB 436. This form must be signed by your instructors, the graduate adviser, and the graduate Dean (in MAI 101) and turned in to the Registrar’s office (MAI 1). Then you must confirm registration and pay any fees due. Contact Ann Ford for further questions about this process. 

  • The new semester has just started. I checked my registration record, and all of my classes have disappeared. Registration is closed and I have no classes. What happened and what do I do?

    If you miss the payment deadline or fail to confirm your registration the Registrar will automatically delete your classes. Even if you have a zero fee bill, you must confirm registration online. To re-register, you must complete the late registration process as outlined in the previous FAQ. Payment must be made along with any late fee by the 12th class day or you will be dropped again.

Program of Work - Doctoral

Program of Work - Master's

Scholarships, Grants, & Funding

Transfer Students