30 Hour Specialization (24 hrs + 6 hrs of Thesis)
M.A. or M.Ed. Student Teaching is a prerequisite for the M.Ed. degree.
- Admission to Graduate School.
- 12 hours of upper-division education courses.
- Evidence of spoken and written proficiency in Spanish (See Bilingual Education Adviser for details.)
C&I Departmental Requirement—6 hours
EDC 380R Educational Research and Design
ONE additional research methods class, preferably chosen to support thesis project
Major Area. Bilingual Education—Total of 12 Hours.
- Required Courses. Students will select 12 hours with the approval of their advisor from the following lis:
- EDC 390T Foundations of Bilingual & Dual Language Education
- EDC 385G Teacher Leadership in Bilingual/ESL
- EDC 382E Teaching Elementary School Subjects: Bilingual Education
- A course in teaching English as a Second Language: [EDC 382E, 382S]
- EDC 385G: Sociolinguistics OR Assessment & Evaluation in Language Education OR Second Language Acquisition
- EDC 385G: Language Policy in Education OR Biliteracy OR Biliteracy and New Literacy Studies
- Choose ONE of the following:
- EDC 385G Seminar: Language Acquisition, or Psycholinguistics
- EDC 385G Second Language Acquisition, or ALD 325 Second Language Acquisition with consent of adviser
- EDC 371 Applied Linguistics
Supporting Work. 6 hours
Two courses outside C&I such as:
- ANT 388K Anthropology of Education
- ANT 393 Topics in Anthropology, as appropriate
- EDP 362T Tests and Measurement
- EDP 380P Educational Assessment of Minority Students
- HIS 377L Mexico and Spanish North America since 1810
- LIN 3805 Sociolinguistics
- LIN 373 Child Language
- LIN 350 Bilingualism
- LIN 350 Linguistics and Education
- MAS 374 Selected Topics in Mexican American Studies
- SED 380 Language Acquisition and Assessment for Multicultural Special Education
- SPN 367K Rhetoric and Composition for Native Speakers
- SPN 367K Spanish Grammar
- SPN 383N Topics in Spanish Linguistics, as appropriate
- OR other courses with the approval of your advisor.
NOTE: 6 hrs. of coursework must be outside C&I.
Thesis. Total of 6 hours.
EDC 698A & B Thesis