Master of Arts or Master of Education. Student Teaching is a prerequisite for the M.Ed. degree.
33 Hour Specialization (30 hrs + 3 hrs of Master Report)
- Admission to Graduate School.
- Twelve (12) hours of upper-division education courses.
- Evidence of spoken and written proficiency in Spanish (See Bilingual Education Adviser for details.)
C&I Departmental Requirement—3 hours
EDC 380R Educational Research and Design
Major Area. Bilingual Education—Total of 24 Hours
- Required Courses—18 hours to include:
- EDC 390T Foundations of Bilingual Education
- EDC 385G Seminar on Program Development and Research: Bilingual Education OR Teacher Leadership in Bilingual/ESL
- EDC 382E Teaching Elementary School Subjects: Bilingual Education
- A course in teaching English as a Second Language: EDC 382E, 382S, 384P
- A course in Biliteracy
- Choose ONE of the following:
EDC 385G Seminar: Language Acquisition, OR Psycholinguistics
EDC 385G Second Language Acquisition, OR ALD 325 Second Language Acquisition with consent of adviser
EDC 371 Applied Linguistics
- Elective Courses—6 hours from the following or their equivalent:
- EDC 385G Seminar: Language Acquisition, or Psycholinguistics
- EDC 385G Language and Politics
- EDC 385G Language Acquisition and Assessment for Multicultural Special Education (cross-listed with Special Education)
- EDC 385G Critical Pedagogy and Bilingual Education
- OR other courses can be chosen with the approval of your advisor.
Supporting Work—6 hours
Two courses outside C&I such as:
- ANT 388K Anthropology of Education
- EDP 380P Educational Assessment of Minority Students
- HIS 377L Mexico and Spanish North America since 1810
- LIN 350 Bilingualism
- LIN 373 Child Language
- LIN 3805 Sociolinguistics
- SED 380 Language Acquisition and Assessment for Multicultural Special Education
- SPN 367K Rhetoric and Composition for Native Speakers
- SPN 367K Spanish Grammar
- SPN 383N Topics in Spanish Linguistics, as appropriate
- OR other courses with the approval of your advisor.
NOTE: Six hours of coursework must be outside C&I.
Report—Total of 3 hours
EDC 398R Report