All graduate students are required to apply to the state application system ApplyTexas. We strongly encourage you to start this process well in advance of the deadline to allow us time to process your information. Visit our “How to Apply” page for departmental requirements and processes.
Statement of Purpose
Your statement of purpose should describe:
- why you are interested in a doctoral degree in the Educational Policy and Planning Program (EPP) at UT Austin; what is it about our program, specifically, that interests you?
- your research interests; what compels you to pursue a doctorate? What kinds of research are interested in conducting? Which faculty members would you like to work with? What are your burning questions?
- any key life experiences that have shaped to your decision to pursue a doctorate in EPP;
- any personal experiences, achievements, or accomplishments that would help you contribute to the program and the University’s mission for diversity and inclusiveness, and
- your career aspirations once you complete your degree.
Submit a writing sample (e.g., course paper, master’s thesis, published article, paper prepared for a professional conference, etc.) to the “Miscellaneous Admissions Document” section in MyStatus. After you submit your materials, you will receive an acknowledgment email from the Graduate School which will also contain your UT EID.